Last night I was asked on BBC’s Newsnight, its influential current affairs television program, what Rupert Murdoch should do wearing his corporate diplomat hat given he’s now being pursued by a high-profile range of interested parties — UK Parliament’s Culture/Media/Sport select committee, London’s Metropolitan Police and the FBI who all are very interested in the extent of his company’s phone hacking and police bribery practices. Is Rupert Murdoch’s defiance going to be seen as a Tony Hayward moment, the former BP executive wanting his life back? Clearly his newspaper brands in the US and UK have a lot more defending to do, with the mere whiff of wrongdoing taking the shine off both News International’s share price and the levels of trust in its brands. The UK impact of this drama hopefully will result in not only a change in the privacy laws and regulation of the media, but will shine a bright light on the nature of British news media ownership and the dysfunctions that imbalances of market power bring. Stay tuned!
Tag CloudAdvertising AIDA Cruises Allyson Allyson Stewart-Allen America American apple Barclays Boot Camp BP brand brand localisation brand travel BrandTravel Britain Burberry business Carnival Cruise Lines Carnival Cruises CNN corporate diplomacy crisis management cross-cultural insights Customer Service economic dynamism Economy expert Financial Times FSA FT G7 German global Google Ibero Cruises Innovation insights International International Marketing International Marketing Partners local localisation localization MAC MAC Cosmetics management market analysis marketing marketing; Carnival Cruise Lines; Carnival; Carnival Cruises; Reputation; Costa Concordia; trust; Marketing Academy Marketing Week Market Leader Magazine market research News Corporation P&O Cruises Cunard Paul the Octopus Princess Cruises quality of life RBS Recession relationship building Reputation Rupert Murdoch Seabourn social currency Starbucks stocks strategy Technology Tony Hayward transparency Twitter Volkswagen White Collar WPP
- Top 10 Tips for #WwA Tip 4: Hip Hip Hooray for Our Team. Everyone gets a vote, and treat everyone as if they sign your contract, 13 hours ago
- Between #Trump and #Brexit, now's the time to focus on US growth: workingwithamericans.com. Download your free book chapter. 14 hours ago
- RT @SWEeurope: Q: Why attend #WEAmsterdam? A: @MuseofMarketing's Mega Session — Building Resilience and Your Brand. Registration: https://t… 1 day ago
- RT @businessawards: Great Business insights from @TimesMagazine ow.ly/faH230aLuGM #businessawards2017 https://t.co/8KA20DpThZ 3 days ago
- Great to be speaking at @SWEurope #WELocal #Amsterdam in May on #resilience. Needed now more than ever. bit.ly/2puWoel 3 days ago