According to the FT story that ran a few days ago, German car makers Volkswagen and Smart “microcars” (is this a new product category that’s been so tightly and strategically defined that you can automatically be the market leader?) have realized there’s money to be made in the USA. Driven by a steep fall in its sales, Smart’s CEO Deiter Zetsche admits the company “might not have done enough active selling” since arriving on American shores in 2008. Maybe the 20% drop in 2011 sales compared to 2010 is what prompted the realization. Surely the US consumer, screaming over gasoline prices above $3.50/gallon, is now ready more than ever to entertain a microcar. Turning up the marketing and sales loudness dial for the US must be something every brand traveller must know?
Tag CloudAdvertising AIDA Cruises Allyson Allyson Stewart-Allen America American apple Barclays Boot Camp BP brand brand localisation brand travel BrandTravel Britain Burberry business Carnival Cruise Lines Carnival Cruises CNN corporate diplomacy crisis management cross-cultural insights Customer Service economic dynamism Economy expert Financial Times FSA FT G7 German global Google Ibero Cruises Innovation insights International International Marketing International Marketing Partners local localisation localization MAC MAC Cosmetics management market analysis marketing marketing; Carnival Cruise Lines; Carnival; Carnival Cruises; Reputation; Costa Concordia; trust; Marketing Academy Marketing Week Market Leader Magazine market research News Corporation P&O Cruises Cunard Paul the Octopus Princess Cruises quality of life RBS Recession relationship building Reputation Rupert Murdoch Seabourn social currency Starbucks stocks strategy Technology Tony Hayward transparency Twitter Volkswagen White Collar WPP
- Join me Monday morning at 08.50 UK on @SkyNews as we discuss the latest @CalvinKlein #advertising controversy and t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Excellent open here at @tedxlondon with an inspired line up... how important it is today to work and live… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- Really looking forward to my #keynote session for @SWEeurope in #Berlin on Thursday morning on breaking #boundaries… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- @LumosSleep Hello Biquan, given your extensive delay in fulfilling my order, I would like a full refund as soon as… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Excellent @FT @AndrewTGHill article on how the #CMO gets to the Boardroom. Mavericks from #marketing do deserve a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 weeks ago